Allergies are a very common health problem in North America. Approximately one out of five people in the United States are affected by hayfever. With this condition one reacts to substances in the environment such as grass or tree pollens. This is usually seasonal. Some people react year round to things such as dust mites, pet dander, or mold.Common symptoms include sneezing, runny nose, congested sinus, watery and/or itchy eyes, sinus pressure and pain. Allergies can also cause sinus headaches, fatigue, inability to focus, watery/red itch eyes, itchy mouth and throat, sore throat, sleep problems, asthma, eczema, and a variety of other health problems.
Causes and timing of seasonal hayfever:
- Tree pollen, common in the spring
- Grass pollen, common in the late spring and summer
- Weed pollen, common in the fall
- Fungi and mold spores, often worse during warm weather months
- Causes of year round environmental allergies:
- Dust mites
- Animal dander
- Fungi and mold spores (indoor and outdoor)
While drug therapies can be quite effective for relieving allergy symptoms many of the medications can have several undesirable side effects.
- Limited Diet
- Nutritional Deficiencies
- Poor digestion and detoxification
Dr. Stengler’s Solutions
Testing to identify environmental and food sensitivities is very helpful. The patient is given oral desensitization drops for the offending pollens or foods.
Natural anti-allergy supplements such as butterbur, quercitin, tinospora, vitamin C, and stinging nettle are safe and effective.